Cancelled L2 Exam

Posted by on

We are regretfully cancelling this weekend's Level Two exam on short notice. We have been having regular check-ins and monitoring the reports over the last several days, including a meeting just this morning to discuss the latest updates. At that time we decided that with modifications, the exam would go ahead operating during the lower-wind hours of the day in a protected area, and camping inland.

However, the updates that have come out just in the last two hours are significantly more concerning than this morning. "Typhoon Songda" is currently approaching us from the west, expected to bring the most extreme weather we've seen in at least 10 years, particularly Saturday to Sunday evening, with wind forecasts between 80-120km/h. Environment Canada has bumped from gale to storm warning (1), BC Ferries and the Clipper are cancelling sailings and apparently stuck in Active Pass (2), people are being hit by falling trees (3), and there are some fascinating videos (4) of what's happening both meteorologically and what coastal Oregon has looked like today (including one of a large electrical waterspout (5)). In addition, with massive power outages and damage expected, it's possible emergency services could be significantly delayed.

While we were hopeful, from a risk management perspective, it's become abundantly clear that we can no longer justify putting anyone out (even though it would make for a wicked exam) on the coast this weekend. We have sent messages through multiple avenues, but have not confirmed that all candidates have received them yet. If you know someone taking their L2 this weekend, feel free to pass the message on.

Stay safe, guides! (And consider this is a great opportunity to play around with some weather modelling technology (6) and track the system over the next couple of days).

Sincerely,

Daye Cooper, Executive Director