North Island Kayak delivers world class guided kayaking tours of Johnstone Strait & the Broughton Archipelago, from Telegraph Cove on northern Vancouver Island, to thousands of guests each summer between the months of June and September. Our goal is to provide guests with a spectacular wilderness vacation experience, while ensuring the safety of all and minimizing any negative environmental effects
of our presence. Maximum staffing levels are reached in the months of July & August when our team reaches approximately 35 + people.
• Be the lead or assistant guide for our basecamp tours with a maximum of 6 guests per guide. Tours with over 6 guests will have an AOG guide to assist.
• To lead our guests on kayaking tours of 2 hr, ½ day and full day, with a maximum of 6 clients per guide.
• Occasionally assist on longer expeditions
• Provide store front coverage, including customer assistance, taking payments, opening and closing, etc.
• Washing and putting away tour equipment when returning from a tour.
• Assisting in preparation or cleanup of tours led by other guides.
• Washing and inspecting kayaks and gear and equipment maintenance.
• Power washing launch ramp & Patrolling the launch and parking area.
• Duties as assigned
Most of our guests are tourists, not kayakers. They come to view wildlife in its natural environment and
to enjoy nature. We are looking for an individual that can do more than just keep them upright in a kayak.
• SKGABC Level II certificate or equivalent
• 40hr Wilderness First Aid preferred & CPR (80 hours preferred)
• Restricted operators certificate for VHF
• Food Safe
• Post-secondary education preferred.
• Foreign language skills are preferred, especially French, German & Dutch.
• Knowledge of local marine mammals and marine invertebrates. (Will provide some training and
literature in the form of field guides and reference books).
• Able to share knowledge enthusiastically and in a clear manner.
• Must have and be able to instruct “leave no trace “ethics
• Good leadership skills. Must be able to take control of a group and get them on the water in a
timely fashion and maintain that control throughout the entire tour.
• A robust, outdoor professional able to work well under all weather conditions and able to lift
Closing Date: 2020-03-01
Guiding Area: Johnstone strait, Broughton Archipelago
Work Term: June 1- September 25
Salary: Competitive- based on experience