Professional Development, through Exchanges, Exams, and Courses, allows leaders to stay abreast of evolving industry standards, strengthen connections with other professionals, and finesse their paddling, technical, and interpretive skills, thereby promoting safety across the industry.
SKGABC guides are required to participate in an Ongoing Training / Professional Development program at minimum once every 3 years. See bottom of page for details.
New: Itinerary Available! The SKGABC Spring Guides Exchange is being hosted by Ocean Sound, Green Coast, and Kingfisher, in Queen Charlotte, Haida Gwaii. Additional information will be posted...
Professional Development -- Certification Requirement
On-Going Training can be satisfied for a THREE (3) year period by any of the following SKGABC activities
- SKGABC Guides Exchange - (L3 guides: in a Leadership role)
- SKGABC Endorsed Course - e.g. AOG course, L3 prep course
- SKGABC Level Two or Three Exam - as a candidate
- new SKGABC Guide Trainer or Guide Examiner approved application
On-Going Training can be satisfied for a THREE (3) year period by any of the following alternative activities
- Recognized training course endorsed by another certifying body
Examples: Paddle Canada / American Canoe Association / British Canoe Union / etc sea kayak courses
- Regional paddling symposium or event
Examples: Pacific Paddling Symposium / Golden Gate Sea Kayak Symposium / East Coast Kayak Symposium / Lumpy Waters Kayak Symposium
- Ground Search and Rescue Training
- Swiftwater Rescue Training
To submit non-SKGABC training, please email documentation to: email@example.com
In extenuating circumstances, the Executive Director (or Certification Committee) may consider alternative options on a case by case basis, based upon quality, intensity, and length of training as well as networking, community, and leadership components.