Fall 2017 Exchange
October 20 - 22, 2017
Strathcona Park Lodge
The fall 2017 Exchange will take place at Strathcona Park Lodge! This spectacular location offers us the chance to upgrade our skills on flatwater as well as the opportunity to be coached in WHITEWATER boats by some amazing local expert whitewater guides. Try your hand at a different kind of paddling, and grow your skills in the sea kayaking world!
SPL is nestled in a beautiful valley intersection on Upper Campbell Lake, west of Campbell River and about 225m above sea level. Even with our indoor accommodation, it can be a bit cold and wet in October! Stay comfy, bring your wool layers and rain gear :)
Special Demos and Giveaway: Boreal Designs
Our awesome rep Mark Hall will be attending the Fall Exchange with boats to demo and play with -- SKGABC guides now get 25% off wholesale pricing (~65% off) -- and we will be GIVING AWAY a new Boreal Designs Storm series kayak to one lucky SKGABC member! Check out the Boreal Designs lineup, and come try them out in person at the Exchange.
Enter to win a Storm 15, 16, or 17 kayak at the Exchange:
All current SKGABC members attending the Exchange will automatically receive one entry ticket in to the draw
Additional entries will be granted to members based on participation in the following areas (theoretically, a member can get up to 8 entries!):
- Arrive in time to participate in Friday afternoon rescues/rolls/games/demos on the lake: +1 entry
- Human-power your way to the Exchange. From at least as far away as Campbell River, hike, bike, or paddle (yes it’s possible, the Executive Director has done it) to the Lodge: +1 entry
- Complete the SKGABC guide knowledge challenge (package handed out with registration): +1 entry
- Be part of the winning group at guide trivia night: +1 entry
- Participate in the sea shanty competition: +1 entry
- Be part of the winning group at the sea shanty competition: another +1 entry
- Exemplary nominations: Finally, you may nominate another SKGABC member who goes "above and beyond" as a guide -- or who has gone "above and beyond" in their participation during this Exchange, for ONE additional entry. Nominations must be unique, genuinely exemplary, and backed by strong rationale. You may not nominate yourself, and circular nominations (e.g. Bob nominates Ranu who nominates Jen who nominates Bob) are not allowed. The Executive Director has final say over acceptance of exemplary nominations.
View the Fall Exchange schedule (subject to adjustment)
Exchange pack list
- Sleeping bag and mat (if hostel-style accommodation selected, a mattress is provided)
- Earplugs & sleep mask
- Warm clothes, rain gear and gum boots
- Regular overnight gear including headlamp, toiletries, towel, insulated mug or thermos
- Expired flares you may have, and VHF radio for workshops
- Own sea kayak — if you plan to take part in lake sea kayaking rescues and practice
- Own PFD, extra wool/poly layers, and immersion gear if you have them
Basic PFDs, farmer-style wetsuits, and splash tops are available, but your own PFD and drysuit or full body wetsuit will fit better and be warmer. It's cold in October.
All other whitewater boats and gear provided.
Accommodation: Options Available
Option 1: All registration packages include indoor camping accommodations (BYO sleeping mat/bag, indoors on a floor with a roof -- no tents please), meals from dinner on Friday until lunch on Sunday, SKGABC dry-land workshops, guide trivia and sea shanty competitions, prize draws, and dance on Saturday night. Indoor camping accommodation is directly upstairs from the Saturday night dance, meaning it will be loud until 11pm or midnight on Saturday.
Option 2: If you prefer quieter accommodation, separate hostel-style -- in shared dorm-style rooms -- is available at a nominal cost (book and pay when you register below). BYO sleeping bag; a bed, a mattress, a sheet and a pillow are provided. +$40 / 2 nights
Option 3: You can also book a private room or cabin, if you like. Register for the Exchange with us below (at the "camping" price) and then contact Strathcona Park Lodge directly to book a private option.
Cost: Options Available
Exchanges are designed to be cost-neutral -- we just cover our costs. While refreshing your "ongoing training" is required a minimum of once every 3 years, we try to support our members to come to as many Exchanges as you want!
Before October 1 (earlybird fees -- prices have been adjusted slightly to include GST):
- Standard participation: $155 includes whitewater paddling day and all SKGABC activities
- Non-whitewater: $125 includes dry land workshops and "own boat" sea kayak activities on lake, but no whitewater coaching or activities.
- Hostel-style accommodation: +$40 / 2 nights
- Cancellations 30 days prior to the Exchange start date are entitled to a full refund.
- Cancellations 15-30 days prior to start date will lose $25 administrative fee.
- Cancellations less than 15 days prior to start date will be charged for the full cost of the Exchange. However, we can transfer your fees to another SKGABC guide for their attendance if you arrange this with them.
Participants must be current SKGABC members to register for an Exchange. Please take a moment to renew your membership if needed!
- To register for CPR "C" on Sunday, please let us know (below) for scheduling purposes, but contact Slipstream directly.
- Download the SKGABC waiver and the Strathcona Park Lodge waiver / med form.
Registration opens 9am PDT September 5. Any payments made before 9am PDT September 5 will be refunded. Thank you.